Himalayan pink salt is a variety of salt mined from the Khewra Salt Mine in the Punjab region. It is hand-mined and unrefined. This salt is believed to have formed millions of years ago as ancient oceans dried up and left behind mineral deposits.
Iron oxide, present in the crystals of rock salt, gives it its pink color. Himalayan pink salt is often considered to be more natural and less processed when compared to traditional table salt.
It contains a variety of minerals and trace elements, including potassium, magnesium, and calcium, which contribute to its unique texture, mineral content, and uses.
Some health benefits if you consume rock salt regularly-
- Detoxification : The trace minerals and negative ions of Himalayan rock salt can work in detoxification. However, the body's natural detoxification processes primarily involve the liver, kidneys, and other organs, and the role of salt in detoxification is not well-established.
- Maintains Body pH Levels: Himalayan rock salt’s rich mineral content can help balance the body’s pH levels. When our pH has a healthy acid-to-alkaline ratio, it will significantly affect our overall health. Since Himalayan sea salt contains sodium and other electrolytes, it directly affects blood pH.
- Digestion: Himalayan rock salt has a great source of minerals & vitamins and, these properties make them a perfect remedy for digestive problems such as constipation, heartburn, bloating, stomach pain,
- Soothes Sore Throat: Gargling with salt water is a common home remedy for treating sore throat. Rock salt has decongestant properties that help to relieve your blocked nose, & cough and clears the nasal and throat cavity.
Here are the dietary and non-dietary uses of rock salt:
1. Cooking and Seasoning: Himalayan pink salt can be used in the same way as regular table salt for seasoning and cooking various dishes. Its unique flavor and trace mineral content can add a slightly different taste to foods.
2. Brining and Curing: Rock salt is often used in the process of brining and curing meats, poultry, and fish. The large crystals of rock salt can help draw out moisture from the food, preserving it and enhancing its flavor.
3. Ice-Cream Making: Rock salt is used in ice cream makers to lower the freezing point of the ice, allowing the mixture to freeze and churn into ice cream.
4. Finishing Salt: Due to its larger crystals and unique appearance, Himalayan pink salt is sometimes used as a finishing touch on dishes just before serving to provide a visually appealing and slightly crunchy texture.
1. Industrial Processes: Rock salt is used in various industrial processes, including the production of chlorine, caustic soda, and other chemicals. It's also used in the manufacture of products like soaps and detergents.
2. Health and Wellness Products: Similar to Himalayan pink salt, rock salt is sometimes used in wellness products like salt lamps, inhalers, and bath salts.
3. Water Softening: Rock salt is used in water softening systems to replace the hardness minerals (calcium and magnesium) in water with sodium ions. This process helps prevent scale buildup in pipes and appliances.
Himalayan pink salt is often promoted for its potential health benefits. When using Himalayan pink salt, moderation is still important, as excessive salt intake can have negative effects on health regardless of the type of salt used.